Rave reviews for first French production of Sarabande (sixth staging of the play thus far).
'A movie script turned into a stage play is not an easy task and failures are common. But here, what a miracle!'Le Figaro magazine
About the production
'A great man of cinema can also be a great man of theatre', stated Jean-Luc Jeener of Le Figaro magazine, but issued a warning: a screenplay does not necessarily fare well as a play. 'Mais ici, quelle merveille!' Credit is obviously due to director Jean-Claude Amyl, magnificently rendering the bergmanesque atmosphere. The actors are splendid as well, in particular the young Alice de Lencquensaing, who no doubt will have a promising career.
In a review for Webthea, wittingly entitled "Winter Sonata", Gilles Costaz is also impressed by the actors' 'musical' performance, and for not trying to emulate a bergmanesque style: 'They are, on the contrary, different, original, without stereotypes.' As Jeener, he is convinced we haven't seen the last of de Lencquensaing för sista gången: she 'will go far'.
Maxime Rovere gives the play four stars (out of five) and mentions in particular the director's handling of the space, 'intelligently and soberly shifted out of joint.'
- Jean-Luc Jeener, "La magie Bergman", Le Figaro magazine, no date.
- Gilles Costaz, "Sonate d'hiver", webthea.com, 28 januari, 2013.
- Maxime Rovere, "Sarabande", evene.fr, no date.
- Christophe Barbier, "Sarabande", L'Express, no date.
- Ingmar Bergman, Writer
- Jean-Claude Amyl, Director
- Jean-Pierre Schneider, Set design
- Pierre-Alfred Eberhard, Émilien Grezes, Digital design
- Benjamin Nesme, Light design
- Pierre Constant, Johan
- Annie Sinigalia, Marianne
- Fabrice Eberhard, Henrik
- Alice de Lencquesaing, Karin